Democracy Federal Credit Union received its charter on May 26, 1936, just two years after the passage of the Federal Credit Union Act. The charter was originally issued in the name of Social Security Employees Federal Credit Union. The name was changed to FSA Employees Federal Credit Union in 1946, and to HEW Employees Federal Credit Union in 1955. In March 1984, Employees was deleted and our name changed to HEW Federal Credit Union. Recognizing our democratic structure and principles and our growing family of members, we became Democracy Federal Credit Union on January 1, 2015.
Membership eligibility was initially limited to employees of the Social Security Board in Washington, D.C. and their immediate families. Numerous government reorganizations and subsequent amendments to our charter over the years have brought the Credit Union to its current position serving the employees of the Departments of Health and Human Services (formerly Health, Education & Welfare), Department of Education and employees of other agencies and their families. Democracy FCU also serves people in many underserved areas of the Washington metro area.
The growth of Democracy FCU has been notable. It's interesting to note that it took 36 years for the Credit Union to reach its first $10 million in assets and a membership of 12,000. Yet just 14 years later (1986) when the Credit Union celebrated its 50th birthday, assets had jumped to $39 million reflecting an increase of nearly 300% with membership at 26,000. In 2001, Democracy FCU surpassed the $100 million mark in assets.
The Credit Union presently operates out of 5 offices:
If you are using a screen reader and are having problems using this website
please call 703-647-7095 or toll-free at 800-742-5582 ext. 7095 for assistance.